Keep in mind that you can’t cure yourself magically by eating special food, as individual reactions to food differ. But there is some guideline like what to eat to control asthma, or at least you can avoid it by getting it worse. Every individual will not react in the same way to same foods, but you can closely monitor yourself to the reaction for certain foods and avoid them if necessary.
Now after examining yourself you might have known what kind of food you can eat and what food that will effect on your asthma. As there is no specific diet for an asthma patient, as per the studies it is shown that some ingredients may make asthma worse, on the other hand, others may actually improve your symptoms. You can plan your meals with these tips in mind and you can keep your asthma in check.
Fill your diet with Fruits and Vegetables:
Fruits and vegetables are filled with antioxidants like Vitamins C & E, and Beta-carotene that will help you in reducing lung irritation and swelling. These fruits and vegetables are low in calories that will help you in filling and even it will help you in maintaining your weight in healthy weight. On the other hand, it will control your asthma. Here is some list of fruit and vegetables that have to be eaten like:
Best food for asthma patients are:
- Apple contains one flavonoid in particular, like Khellin, that will help in open up airways.
- Cantaloupe contains Vitamin C
- Carrots contains beta-carotene, another antioxidant
- Coffee, as it contains caffeine it is a bronchodilator that will help in improving airflow, says Dr. Graham, and for the same reason, even black tea is also beneficial.
- Flax seeds as it contains Omega 3 fatty acids and even magnesium
- Garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Avocado as it contains an important antioxidant known as glutathione (protect
- cells against the damage inflicted by free radicals)
Worst food for asthma patients are:
- Egg: many children and adults are allergic to eggs
- Milk it may results in coughing, wheezing and other respiratory problems
- Peanuts: it will provoke potentially fatal allergic asthma
- Salt it will contribute to inflammation by producing fluid retention
- Shellfishes it causes allergy in children (after milk and peanuts) and even in adults, even avoid shrimps, lobsters, crab, crayfish, oysters, mussels, clams, and scallops
- Wine it is worst as well as good for few people, due to the presence of preservatives called Sulfites( which is also found in Shrimps and dried fruits) it triggers asthma attack